Saturday 22 October 2011

Steve Jobs Biography: The Best Excerpts


This is taken from Mashable for more details visit www.mashable.com
Numerous media outlets got their hands on the highly anticipated Steve Jobs biography Thursday, which won’t be released to the public until Oct. 24.
Below are excerpts of the book featured in news articles across the web.

Biographer Walter Isaacson — who will be interviewed onSunday night’s 60 Minutes — had unprecedented access to Jobs as well as his family, friends, colleagues and adversaries for two years leading up to a few weeks before the Apple innovator died Oct. 5.
Pre-orders for Steve Jobs: A Biography spiked after Jobs passed away, hitting number one on Amazon‘s sales chart. The book will be available in hardcover, audio and ebook formats.
From The New York Times story:
  • “Mr. Jobs told Mr. Isaacson that he was either going to be one of the first ‘to outrun a cancer like this’ or be among the last ‘to die from it,” wrote NYT‘s Steve Lohr.
  • “The big thing was that he really was not ready to open his body. It’s hard to push someone to do that,” said his wife, Laurene Powell.
From The Associated Press story:
  • “I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this,” Jobs said after HTC released an Android phone in early 2010. “I don’t want your money. If you offer me $5 billion, I won’t want it. I’ve got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that’s all I want.’’

  • “I really didn’t want them to open up my body, so I tried to see if a few other things would work,” Jobs said.“Hewlett and Packard built a great company, and they thought they had left it in good hands. But now it’s being dismembered and destroyed,” Jobs said about HP’s recent decision to discontinue operations for webOS devices. “I hope I’ve left a stronger legacy so that will never happen at Apple.’’
From The Huffington Post story:
  • “Bill [Gates] is basically unimaginative and has never invented anything, which is why I think he’s more comfortable now in philanthropy than technology. He just shamelessly ripped off other people’s ideas,” Jobs said.
  • On meeting his biological father for the first time: “It was amazing,” Jobs said. “I was a wealthy man by then, and I didn’t trust him not to try to blackmail me or go to the press about it.”
  • “You’re headed for a one-term presidency,” Jobs told U.S. President Barack Obama when they met in 2010.
  • “I wanted my kids to know me,” Jobs said in his final interview with Isaacson. “I wasn’t always there for them and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did.”
  • “We all have a short period of time on this earth,” Jobs said. “We probably only have the opportunity to do a few things really great and do them well. None of us has any idea how long we’re gong to be here nor do I, but my feeling is I’ve got to accomplish a lot of these things while I’m young.”

What are you most excited to learn about in the biography? Chime in below.

1 comment:

  1. “We all have a short period of time on this earth,” Jobs said. “We probably only have the opportunity to do a few things really great and do them well. None of us has any idea how long we’re gong to be here nor do I,,,,,,,,
    True The greatest luxury of our time is time itself... Nice Work Umair...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are more than Welcome.